Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Color vs Black & White

A week or so ago we took a hike in Portland's Forest Park. It's one of the country's largest urban parks, with many miles of rough and hilly walking trails lined with large old trees (mainly fir and maple) and extensive patches of ferns. Naturally, I took my camera and took lots of photos, but I was troubled by two things: the intense green was occasionally overwhelming, and the bright sun increased contrast uncomfortably. I expected this to be a problem, so I tried to deal with the extreme exposure range by underexposing by 2 stops in camera, then using Lightroom to bring up the dark green foliage, bring down the bright yellow-white patches, and reduce contrast. 

That strategy worked reasonably with many of the photos,  but I decided to explore what would happen if I converted the color photos to black & white. That worked fairly well (to my taste) for photos that had a lot of structure and didn't depend so much on shades of green. I decided to show three such pairs of photos on this blog. Comments and suggestions welcome.
















No comments:

Post a Comment