Saturday, September 9, 2017

Return to Japan

After my little back-home interlude in Portland, I'm beginning a series of posts of photos from Japan, which we visited the last twelve days of July, 2017. (Our previous visit was in 2002.) My wife had to give some lectures in Tokyo, so I came along to photograph in that fascinating city. After that, we went with our daughter-in-law's mother Haruko and aunt Asako to Hokkaido for a week - but that comes later.

The view at sunset from our hotel room, on the evening of our arrival. The fabled golden hour!


We like Japanese crafts, so were anxious to visit the Japanese Folk Crafts Museum, located fairly close (by Tokyo standards) to our hotel in the Meguro district. It's a charming place with a lovely collection, but unfortunately they don't allow photography in the museum. So I had to content myself with some photos of the exterior.


A pottery plate embedded in the wall surrounding the museum.



We began to reacquaint ourselves with the amazing Tokyo subway system. Some things about this photo - the diagonal composition, crowded figures, splashes of primary colors, and the lone heroic woman at the base - reminds me of a Delacroix painting.



No comments:

Post a Comment