Monday, March 27, 2017

Studio Sessions: George Morrison

I'll be traveling for the next week or so, with uncertain ability to post photos. So I'm going way back into my archives, to the mid-1970s, when I embarked on a project to photograph artists in their studios in the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and Saint Paul, Minnesota. This project led to an exhibition at the Suzanne Kohn Gallery in 1976 and at the Minnesota Museum of American Art 37(!) years later in 2013. (A nice review of the latter show, by Mary Abbe in the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, is here.)

I'll start with a photo of George Morrison working on a wood collage in his basement workshop. George, along with his wife Hazel Belvo, was a friend who got me started by introducing me to a wide circle of Twin Cities artists. He was also one of the country's premier Native American artists, featured along with Allen Houser in the two-person exhibition that opened the National Museum of the American Indian - Smithsonian Institution in 2004.


No comments:

Post a Comment